Reinstalling Windows XP Media Center SP2 with all the current updates and problems I ran into to and how I fixed them.
Reinstall Windows XP Media Center SP2
1. Install Windows. Restart when needed.
2. Install Service patch 3 which is WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-FRA.exe a network installation download.
3. Install Internet Explorer 8 update service. IE8 WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe.
4. Install Internet Explorer 8. IE8-WindowsXP-x86-FRA.exe.
5. Install Internet Explorer Security update. WindowsXP-KB2618444-x86-FRA.exe
Sometime after doing a bunch of updates. I couldn't do anymore updates. Looking at the error code it came down to the Background Intelligent Transfer Service wasn't running. After some more investigation I found out the service wasn't there. See below how to fix.
To reinstall the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, follow these steps:
1.Click Start, click Run, type the following command, and then click OK:
%windir%\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\inf\qmgr.inf
2.If you are prompted to insert your operating system CD, type the following
path in the Copy files from box, and then click OK:
Note This location contains the most recently updated service pack files.
All I had to do is steps 4 and 5 below.
Register 8 dll files that are directly connected to Background Intelligent Transfer (BITS). Some applications
remove or corrupt the dll files which cause the Background Intelligent Transfer (BITS) service to fail. To
register the dll files easily, do the following:
Copy and paste the following entries into the text document.
Save this file as a batch file
- click on save as
- open the drop down box at the bottom to read save as file type: all files
- name of file: BITS_fix.bat (the .bat is creating a batch file)
- run the BITS_fix.bat (double-click)
Deregister and reregister the qmgr.dll and qmgrprxy.dll. To register these
files, open a command prompt and type the following:
regsvr32 qmgr.dll [ENTER]
regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll [ENTER]
Updates started to work again. So finally I could do all the updates. Which seem to take a long time.
FIX: The Background Intelligent Transfer Service service terminated with service-specific error 2147942402 (0x80070002)